Purpose

The following requirements are based on national ergonomics and safety standards, current research and best practices per the UC Ergonomics Work Group and are specifically designed to preserve human, environmental, and capital resources at UC.

 

The requirements listed below should be used when designing laboratory spaces where research experiments and computer work is performed.  Links to the ergonomics requirements for task chairs and tall task stools are positioned at the end of this document.

 

The goal of these criteria is to provide a laboratory environment inclusive of the needs of 90% of the UC population and the equipment they use. The remaining 10%, including petite, tall or large-framed individuals, may require equipment with size or range adjustments that are outside the parameters covered in these criteria.

 

UC-wide and UC site-specific requirements

 

These requirements are for UC system wide use. Refer to your local UC Ergonomics Program for assistance with applying these requirements.